INSTANT POT CHICKEN NO-TORTILLA SOUP (PALEO, WHOLE30, KETO)
INSTANT POT CHICKEN NO-TORTILLA SOUP
Chicken tortilla soup is a warming and flavorful classic! It’s a chicken soup made with a broth and tomato base, jalapeno, chicken, beans, and is loaded with toppings like avocado, cheese, and of course, tortillas. It’s a fairly simple soup to make but packs a ton of flavor.This chicken tortilla soup is made paleo and whole30 by omitting the beans, dairy, and leaving off the tortilla. Of course, you can still add tortillas if you want, but it’s just as tasty without it! It’s also made in the instant pot to make it even easier to prep, but it can also be made in the slow cooker if desired. This soup can also be made AIP and nightshade-free when following the modifications.
- Instant Pot
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced and deseeded (omit for AIP)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium zucchinis, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 15 oz can fire roasted tomatoes (sub 2 cups nomato sauce for AIP)
- Juice of one lime
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp tsp black pepper (omit for AIP)
- 2 medium avocados, sliced
- 1 tsp cumin (omit for AIP)
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 2 tbsp cilantro
- Set the instant pot to saute and add the avocado oil. Once heated, add the onion, jalapeno and garlic. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until the onion is slightly translucent.
- Add the zucchini and saute for another 1-2 minutes to soften.
- Pour in the broth, tomato, lime juice, chicken, and seasonings (reserving cilantro to serve) and stir well to combine.
- Hit “cancel” on the instant pot and place on the lid with the valve sealed. Set the instant pot to high pressure for 12 minutes.
- Allow to come to pressure and cook. Quick release the pressure and carefully remove the lid. Use a meat thermometer to enure the chicken is 165F. Set the instant pot to saute for longer if needed. Pull the chicken out and shred with two forks. Add back to the soup and stir.
- Serve topped with cilantro, avocado, and additional lime juice to taste.
To make in the slow cooker, add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker and set to low for 6-8 hours. Remove the chicken and shred when cooked through. Serve topped with cilantro and avocado. All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients.